Updated July 11, 2016: All detour routes below remain the same, except the Kendall Square stop will shift west to in front of the MIT Coop (325 Main St). All shuttles will stop at this location through the end of July, when we expect to return to normal routes/stops at all times.
It's often said there's two seasons in New England, winter and construction. Seeing as how it's getting close to 80 degrees today, construction season will be here soon—as in next week.
On Tuesday, March 15th, Cambridge DPW and its contractor will again close the eastbound or south side of Main Street for sidewalk and crosswalk work. Starting Tuesday, all shuttles which use the south side of Main Street will move to the westbound or north side of the street. Here's the quick summary of what's happening:
- MIT Routes (Morning Inbound, Midday, and Evening Outbound) will stop on Main St westbound at 255 Main St (in front of Chipotle).
- The MIT Routes WILL NOT stop at Amherst St/Sloan, as shuttles will not be able to reach Amherst St.
- The Morning Inbound stop on Ames St at the Media Lab will also be closed.
- There will be a temporary Midday and Evening Outbound stop on Ames St between Amherst St and Memorial Dr.
- There will be no route changes to Commuter Routes (Morning Outbound & Evening Inbound), but these routes will also stop at 255 Main St in Kendall Square, and WILL NOT stop at the current location in front of the MIT Coop.
We've posted signs at the affected stops.
At this time, we don't have a prediction as to how long this phase of construction will last. For more information on the project, please see Cambridge DPW.
And if you prefer to see a map of what's happening, we have that, too!
Delays are likely for the first few days as traffic adapts to the new routing. CRTMA and Paul Revere supervisors will also be on hand on the first couple days to assist with the change. Thanks to all our riders for their patience during this ongoing construction.